Current Issues in Policing: You are a law enforcement officer (LEO) representing your agency, making a presentation to a group of concerned citizens, including the media. Your objective is to sway the audience into seeing the issue from a different perspective (that of the police).You will use a PowerPoint presentation to discuss a current issue in policing to the attendees. Content Requirements: Current Issues in Policing
Choose ONE (1) of the following topics. It should not be the same topic that you wrote your essay on:
- Community Policing–Does it really work or is it a “feel good” program?
- Building trust with communities.
- Officer Involved Shootings: Public Perception vs. Reality
- Gun Legislation & Law Enforcement (Will increasing gun control be better or worse for police? Will it make our citizens safer? Will it reduce violent crime?)
- Are body cameras an invasion of privacy or are they necessary?
- Is profiling justified and necessary?
- Why can’t the police stop the violence in Miami? (Drive-by shootings; increase in violent crime; gang violence)
- Should the police agencies investigate themselves or should outside agencies (state or federal) and/or civilian review boards be instituted?
- Should the grand jury system be used for officers accused of a crime or should it be eliminated? (What would replace it?)
- Police morale–Who cares? (Why does it matter?)
- Police corruption (from a law enforcement perspective).
- Use of Force–Is it excessive or is it being used to keep officers out of harms way? (De-escalation minimizing; public perception
Include the following: Current Issues in Policing
- Briefly describe the nature of the problem/issue. (Carefully analyze the problem: myths vs. facts; pros vs. cons.)
- Discuss the history of the issue.
- Describe the extent of the problem/issue (is it an actual problem or a perception).
- Use at least two actual examples/cases to illustrate your position.
- What are the best practices in this area? (What police agencies/cities/states already use the program/policy?)
- What is the recommended solution?
- Do not base your position on personal opinion.
- Use research and statistics to support your position.
- The audience members should leave your presentation feeling more informed. Current Issues in Policing