BCO115 Microeconomics Assignment Summer I 2021
Midterm and Final assignment: final report
Your Midterm and Final assignment takes the form of an individual report and it is divided into two parts:
Midterm – Choose one of the three following companies
- ONE of the 3 following companies:
- Use the model of supply and demand and provide a textual and diagrammatic explanation, to explain the prices and quantity of the goods that your company provides to the market. Identify the main factors that affect this market and how they influence the supply and demand for your company’s products – support your answer by providing supply and demand diagrams.
- Explain the elasticity of supply and demand of the good
Final – Part II of the report on your company (chosen for Part 1)
- Please briefly answer the theoretical questions below based on the content from Week 3 to Week 8:
- Explain the different types of market structures using both graphs and verbal explanation. Provide a specific example of each market.,
- Use Porter’s Five Forces to show how competitive your company’s market is and which market structure appropriately describes it.,
- Consider the supply chain of your company and analyse what externalities are caused by its production. Suggest how the company could compensate for or reduce these externalities. Assignment Summer I 2021
This report should be completed by you individually, it is not a group assignment.
- Wordcount: 1500 words (approximately for ‘Part A’ 750 words and ‘Part B’ 750 words)
- Cover, Table of Contents, References and Appendix are excluded of the total wordcount.
- Font: Arial 12,5 pts.
- Text alignment: Justified.
- The in-text References and the Bibliography have to be in Harvard’s citation style.
- Word or Pdf formats are accepted.
It assesses the following learning outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate an understanding of economic decision-making of different actors.
- Outcome 2: Understand the relationship between economic theory and practice.
- Outcome 3: Evaluate real life situations with practical application of the acquired tools and knowledge. Assignment Summer I 2021
|Exceptional 90-100||Good 80-89||Fair 70-79||Marginal fail 60-69|
|Knowledge & Understanding (20%)||Student demonstrates excellent understanding of key concepts and uses vocabulary in an entirely appropriate manner.||Student demonstrates good understanding of the task and mentions some relevant concepts and demonstrates use of the relevant vocabulary.||Student understands the task and provides minimum theory and/or some use of vocabulary.||Student understands the task and attempts to answer the question but does not mention key concepts or uses minimum amount of relevant vocabulary.|
|Application (30%)||Student applies fully relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class.||Student applies mostly relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class.||Student applies some relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class. Misunderstanding may be evident.||Student applies little relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class. Misunderstands are evident.|
|Critical Thinking (30%)||Student critically assesses in excellent ways, drawing outstanding conclusions from relevant authors.||Student critically assesses in good ways, drawing conclusions from relevant authors and references.||Student provides some insights but stays on the surface of the topic. References may not be relevant.||Student makes little or none critical thinking insights, does not quote appropriate authors, and does not provide valid sources.|
|Communication (20%)||Student communicates their ideas extremely clearly and concisely, respecting word count, grammar and spellcheck||Student communicates their ideas clearly and concisely, respecting word count, grammar and spellcheck||Student communicates their ideas with some clarity and concision. It may be slightly over or under the wordcount limit. Some misspelling errors may be evident.||Student communicates their ideas in a somewhat unclear and unconcise way. Does not reach or does exceed wordcount excessively and misspelling errors are evident.|